January 10, 2007

Suggestions for Venues?

Before deciding to start XTC-NYC, I asked Duncan Pierce (one of the London XTC organisers) what he considered to be one of the most important things to do in setting up such a group. His answer was something along the lines of 'Pick a good venue, because once you've settled on somewhere it's very hard to move'.

To try and learn from this advice, I think that for the first 5 events / 3 months we should try 5 different venues, and I'm seeking ideas on this. Based again on my observations of the London XTC, I think important attributes are:
  • Centrally located. I think saying 'between Houston and 59th, 2nd and 8th aves' is reasonable.
  • Ideally a separate space for ~ 20 people; failing that enough space that some people are guaranteed a seat, and quiet enough that people can have a conversation without shouting at each other.
  • Good beer. Hang on a moment, this is the US isn't it? (Sorry couldn't resist. Yes I know there are loads of great micro-brews available in this town!) OK, anywhere with at least something decent on tap.
  • Preferably food. I know not everyone wants to eat out but since most people will be coming straight from work, some people will want to eat.
Is this too much to hope for in Manhattan? My hope is 'no', at least not on a Tuesday evening.

Anyway, please add comments with your thoughts on whether these are sufficient qualities to look for in a venue, and even better please suggest some venues of your own! If we don't find somewhere else in time, I propose Vol de Nuit (West 4th / 6th Ave) as our next port of call.

And of course, I expect this will be a hot subject of conversation at the first event at the Heartland Brewery - see you there!

4 comments:

Greg Whitescarver said...

D'oh! Blogger nuked my comment when I clicked 'preview'!. Trying again here:

Try to reserve the mezzanine at Puck Fair, a great, capacious Irish bar/restaurant on Lafayette just below Houston. It probably fits 20 people just right, and might even be reservable for Tuesday nights. It doesn't put you out of reach of the bar or good cocktail service, either. It's within a few blocks of the Broadway-Lafayette BDFV, the Bleecker 6, and the Prince RW stations. Added bonus: if you direct people in through the Crosby St. entrance, they'll think they're entering a secret hideaway.

Mike Roberts said...

Thanks for the suggestion! Another key benefit to this place is that I live about a block away. ;)

Anonymous said...

I have some information on Venues. You might consider TGI Fridays. They have an empty floor and they have the following locations:

Broadway & 53 St 767-8326
Broadway bet. Fulton & John 240-1280
42 St & Madison 681-8458
34 St. & 8th Ave 630-0307
Broadway & Trinity 463-8322
50 St. 7th Ave. 767-8351
48 St. & 5th Ave. 767-8335
46 St. & Broadway 944-7352
56 St. & Lex. Ave. 339-8858
1 Penn Plaza 34 St. & 8th Ave. 630-0342

Open Bar: $9.95 per person Includes house wines and Draft beers
$125.00 Party Planner serves 10-12 people.

I calculated for 20 or 30 people the cost per head at $25 per person including tips and Gratuities

The person to contact is Gladys Roman of PartyLine (cell)917-562-9631, (office)212-560-1680,(fax) 212-560-1695. She's away now but is available starting next Wednesday, 1/31. groman@rieserest.com

I have more menu information and if you'd like I can fax it to you. There are lots of other options but I found this to be the cheapest combination.

bonniea said...

I love Vol de Nuit - the framboise and unpublished mussels are fantastic. However it gets to feeling crowded pretty quickly: I tried to go out with a group of about 10 at 6:30 on a Wednesday and had serious issues talking to people at the other end of the table and fitting in other folks that arrived late. Still worth trying due to its virtues.